Recreation of the Rhodian village of Lahania in Thebarton, South Australia, in the early 1950s. Part Three
Flinders University Department of Language Studies - Modern Greek
All rights reserved. Subject to the copyright act of 1968, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form, or by any means electronic, mechanical, photocopying or recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copyright owner.
Flinders University Department of Language Studies - Adelaide 2013
After World War Two ended in Lahania in 1946, villagers formed an almost continuous stream to Australia until 1967. A smaller number of thirty-six went to America by 1956. The Australian contingent 117 of the 128 went straight to Thebarton, in Adelaide. This massive exodus eased living conditions for some of those left behind. Markets opened outside the village by 1955 to sell crops. By 1958 fertilisers were available, which increased yields by 400% in the first year, but within four years the yields dropped back to the original amount. The Greek Government donated a tractor to the village in 1960 (still there in 1978). In Australia, many of the men had to travel extensively and work under extreme circumstances to support their families. Thebarton, however, had many qualities which suited the new arrivals. One of these qualities was that they were able to participate in the community in a way that closely emulated conditions in Lahania.
Greek research, Greece, Australia
Hedrick, C., 2013. Recreation of the Rhodian village of Lahania in Thebarton, South Australia, in the early 1950s. Part Three. In M. Tsianikas, N. Maadad, G. Couvalis, and M. Palaktsoglou (eds.) "Greek Research in Australia: Proceedings of the Biennial International Conference of Greek Studies, Flinders University June 2011", Flinders University Department of Language Studies - Modern Greek: Adelaide, 502-507.